From the beginning, we’ve been guided by the belief that outer beauty and inner health are intrinsically linked – and should be kept in perfect balance. We’re believers in a holistic approach to skin wellbeing, harnessing the power of natural and organic skincare and a nourishing, considered diet to transform skin health (and overall health too).
In partnership with Jess Shand, naturopathic nutritionist and founder of Eat Nourish + Glow, we’re bringing you an exclusive Skin Health Protocol for oily-combination skin, meaning skin that is blemish-prone, inflamed or oily. This exclusively curated nutrition and natural skincare plan is designed to support oily-combination skin from the inside out.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
IDENTIFYING THE LINK BETWEEN GUT HEALTH AND SKIN HEALTH
“If you’re someone who experiences gut dysbiosis (an imbalanced gut microbiome), which is a fancy way of saying ‘gut issues’ and you also have ‘problematic’, oily or blemish-prone skin, then I invite you to start taking a closer look at your diet and the timing of your gut symptoms.
Start keeping a food diary. What do you notice? What triggers your gut and could therefore potentially be driving your skin issues too? Don’t ignore these signs and signals. Be your own gut-skin health investigator.
With that out of the way, we’re going to be looking at how you can harness the power of nurturing, natural and organic skincare and healing whole foods to provide a 360o approach to managing sensitive skin.
WHAT IS OILY-COMBINATION SKIN?
Oily-combination refers to congested, blemish-prone, inflamed or oily skin in need of nurturing and rebalancing. The gut microbiome and the skin microbiome are intrinsically linked. When there is an imbalance in the form of inflammation within the gut microbiome it releases pro-inflammatory cytokines in the body, which can result in inflammatory skin conditions.
TREATING THE OUTSIDE IN FOUR STEPS
STEP 1 - DECONGEST WITH PURIFYING PALMAROSA FACE WASH
The simple way to cleanse oily and combination skin. Working on a deep level to cleanse and decongest, it washes away everyday impurities without stripping away any of your skin’s natural oils.
- For oily, combination, and blemish prone skin types.
- Gently cleanses and decongests.
- Naturally cleansing and oil balancing.
- Low foaming to avoid drying the skin.
Massage a small amount into damp skin, using an upward circular motion, taking care around the delicate eye area. Rinse with cool water, then gently pat dry. For best results use daily before moisturising and follow with Purifying Palmarosa Toner and Purifying Palmarosa Daily Moisture.
TIP - for oily skin: Zinc helps to balance sebum (oil) levels so is great to add to your diet if you're prone to blemishes. It's found in pumpkin seeds, unrefined carbohydrates such as grains, nuts and lentils.
STEP 2 - REBALANCE WITH PURIFYING PALMAROSA TONER
Cares for oily and combination skin by keeping it clean, clear and refreshed. With clarifying mahonia and gently astringent witch hazel, it tones your face, balances excess oils, minimizes the appearance of pores and primes skin to better absorb serums and moisturizers.
- For oily, combination, blemish prone and problem skin types
- Purifying and toning
- Cleanses and decongests
- Balances oil production – ideal for shiny t-zones or skin with a sheen
- Helps to minimize visible or enlarged pores
STEP 3 - TREAT WITH MAHONIA CLEAR SKIN BOOSTER
This soothing booster can be used all over the face as part of your daily routine to clarify and decongest the skin by helping to clear spots, regulate excess oiliness and unclog pores. It can also be applied directly to blemishes as an effective, clinically proven treatment.
- Mahonia to clarify, balance and purify
- Centella asiatica to decongest skin and unclog pores
- Calendula to soothe irritation
- Thyme to help reduce and balance excess oil
After 4 weeks*
83% agree complexion looks clearer
83% agree product helps to balance skin
86% agree skin feels soothed
77% agree product helps to regulate skin's oil production
70% agree product has transformed skin
70% agree product helps reduce the appearance of pores
* Based on a consumer trial with 70 women using the product all over the face, two times per day
STEP 4 - RENOURISH WITH YARROW AND COMFREY MOISTURISER
A classic, everyday matte moisturizer ideal for oily and combination skin. With a soothing blend of yarrow and comfrey, it helps balance the skin’s natural oils to leave you with a fresh, more matte complexion. Ideal for people with:
- Visible or enlarged pores
- Oily skin or shiny T-zones
- Blemished and/or problem skin
How to use:
- Use daily after cleansing and toning.
- Apply to face using an upward circular motion, taking extra care around the delicate eye area.
- If you have particularly oily skin apply throughout the day as and when needed.
TREATING THE INSIDE
In addition to following your supportive skincare regime, I’ve created two nourishing recipes so you can harness a 360-degree, inside-out approach to skincare. Every ingredient and every recipe below has been chosen to support the all-important gut-skin axis, with the aim to optimize your gut microbiome as a gateway to supporting your skin in the most effective and targeted way.
I’ve carefully chosen each nutrient-dense ingredient to feed your gut microbiome with a rainbow of high-fibre vegetables. These wholefoods are rich in antioxidants to help support hormones and aid toxin clearance. This includes a dose of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids to calm and sooth the skin. These recipes are abundant in skin-balancing vitamins, minerals and herbs to help you take your skin nourishment protocol to the next level.
RECIPE - SOOTHING SKIN BALANCING SMOOTHIE
Something to start the day with. This smoothie is rich in plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, phytonutrients and probiotics to reduce the inflammation and oxidative stress associated with blemishes.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp organic kefir
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- Small handful organic spinach
- 2 Brazil nuts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
1 scoop collagen powder
For added skin support plus protein for its blood sugar balancing benefits.
Blitz in a blender until smooth – and enjoy!
To support hormone balance, allow your smoothie to naturally come to room temperature before drinking. This is a naturopathic tip I swear by, especially during the winter months of the year when we need to preserve our internal energy as much as possible.
RECIPE - DETOXIFYING SUPERFOOD SKIN NOURISH BOWL
This is a gut-feeding, vibrant winter salad brimming with targeted vitamins and minerals to top-up nutrient stores for optimum skin microbiome function. This recipe includes Zinc, B vitamins, Vitamin C and chlorophyll to actively promote the regeneration of skin cells, collagen synthesis, skin healing and to help support your body’s detoxification pathways for purified skin from within. Your skin will thank you.
Ingredients for 2
- One small sweet potato or ½ small butternut squash cut into small chunks
- 100g raw broccoli cut into very small chunks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- Small handful crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp mixed sunflower & pumpkin seeds
- 200g buckwheat
- 60g dandelion leaves (trimmed and picked through)
- 60g kale
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme dried seasoning
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
Skin detoxifying dressing
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 grated garlic clove
- Pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 15g finely chopped parsley leaves
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
2. Wash the sweet potato (leaving skin on), pat dry and chop into small chunks.
3. Place in a roasting tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp dried thyme, pinch sea salt and pepper and toss for even coverage.
4. Pop in the oven for 30 minutes tossing halfway through cooking time.
5. In the meantime, prep your salad by cooking buckwheat according to package instructions (this should take approximately 10 minutes).
6. In a bowl add the leafy greens, buckwheat, chopped ingredients and cooked sweet potato, sprinkle with the crushed nuts and seeds and finally drizzle with the skin detoxifying dressing.
- Sit down at the table turning all screens and stimulation off.
- Take four deep breaths in and out to stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system and the gut-brain connection – then slowly enjoy every mouthful of nourishment you’re feeding your skin with.
- Eat the dandelion leaves first as these bitter greens will stimulate digestive juices aiding digestion.
- Consciously chew your food, aiming for 20-30 chews per mouthful.
- This gives your digestive system less work to do to break down your food.
- This will also increase production of saliva which contains epithelial growth factor (EGF), a polypeptide that stimulates growth and repair of epithelial tissue.
- Thoroughly chewing your food increases production of this EGF, nourishing and strengthening the gut microbiome.