Today we’re shining the spotlight on environmentalist superstars, Friends of the Earth. Recognized for their impactful campaigns, Friends of the Earth have 50 years of climate action under their belts!
This Christmas, we’re super excited to have collaborated on an exclusive (Be)e-card commemorating the work we’ve done together to help protect 270 species of bees in Britain from pesticides, climate change and habitat loss.
Click here to view our bee-utiful e-card, along with the whole Friends of the Earth’s festive e-card collection.
Friends of the Earth Achievements
We are proud supporters of Friends of the Earth and wanted to highlight some of the incredible results they’ve achieved through their campaigning this year:
- Pushed the proposed Cambo oil field project up political, public and media agendas causing Shell to abandon the project. Just a week later, Siccar Point Energy, the main company behind the oil field, announced that it has suspended the project.
- Successfully pressured the government to abandon UK taxpayer funding of fossil fuel extraction abroad
- In our mission to end all new fossil fuel extraction in the UK, they supported local groups to fight a proposed coal mine at Dewley Hill (Newcastle) and won. The project has now been cancelled.
- Over 100 Friends of the Earth groups took part in the Global Day of Action with hundreds of marches, rallies and stunts seen up and down the country, raising awareness of the need for urgent climate action.
Climate Action Plans
- Successfully persuaded 75% of metro mayors and 56% of London Assembly members to take Friends of The Earth Climate Action Pledge. Incredibly, over 80% of councils now have a Climate Action Plan.
We look forward to continuing our support for Friends of the Earth into 2021, as we work alongside each other to tackle climate change.